[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Feb 5 10:52:08 EST 2003

> One thing that you didn't mention and probably did not consider is
> that EVA's are done with no less than two people.  Always have a buddy.

Probably one reason why I did not consider it is because it isn't true.
Besides, the purpose of doing an EVA at all would have been to ASSESS
DAMAGE FOR DECISION-MAKING PURPOSES, not perform an experiment or prove
a concept.

The Early Soviet and Gemini EVAs were done solo, as were the Apollo CSM
EVAs to retrieve the SAR radar film from the side of the SM.  In the
case of the Gemini EVAs, the second astronaut was suited up but couldn't
go EVA without endangering both astronauts further.  IIRC, this was a
serious issue on Gemini in that Ed White found himself scarcely able to
move or see.  At least one other Gemini EVAer wound up with the same
problem, whereas Aldrin seemed to have an intuitive grasp that the
others lacked.