[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 4 22:23:29 EST 2003

Jeff,

I think you may be misunderstanding just how awful the tiles are. There
are 20,000+ on each shuttle and no two are the same. Repairing any on
the ground is a difficult process that takes weeks with a good jig
system to support them while the cement sets. The cement is unapplyable
in space. Temperature and pressures are wrong. The stuff has to cure
under the right conditions.

Part 2:

Emergency escape process is not possible at certain points in the take
off and landing. Altitude, speed, air pressure, temperature, all
conspire at that near the pad and near the top and near the reentry burn
phase to make any escape mechanism possible.

Now let me clarify possible: Within the constraints of the current
shuttle system shape and lift and flight parameters, and emergency
escape pod or parachute or something, just isn't possible to retrofit
and still have it be useful at all. It must be born in mind that the
shuttle is not a NASA design, it is a Congress designed system. The
Congress critter played politics and shouted down the engineers. NASA
never wanted a fleet of these things. They wanted only 1 for
experimental testing of concepts.