[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Tue Feb 4 19:03:06 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 18:26, Drag0n wrote:
> an abort has a very short window of opportunity before being outside of
> the atmosphere and being a moot point as the damage would still have
> been lethal. As for docking with the ISS, they did not have the docking
> module in the shuttle bay due to the research bay being installed. as
> well as not having EVA suits make that a non option. This is not the
> first time damage has been done to the heat tiles from the tank foam.
> including one impact the penitrated more than 75% of the way through the
> heat tiles. I am hoping they will figure its time to install a hard coat
> layer over the insulation tles that can burn away on re-entry and
> protect the bottom from impacts.

They had the pumpkin suits at the very least.  I know they're not fully
tricked out for EVA, but what ARE they good for?

If the damage to the tiles could have been detected and evaluated
immediately after they were struck, they could have aborted almost
immediately after and probably made the strip at the Cape.

- Jeff