[ale] Gentoo.....where did vi go.....

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 23:05:51 EST 2003

James Sumners <james at sumners.ath.cx> writes:

> the fact that emerging vim required all of X is one of the things i did not like
> about Gentoo. it is absolutely _not_ necessary to build gvim. whomever setup
> that package should be shot IMHO.

I strongly suspect that this is a user-configurable thing, but
I'm not enough of a Gentoo person to know how to do it. Perhaps
removing "X" from the USE= line in /etc/make.profile/make.defaults
would do it? And there must be some way to do the equivalent in
a package-specific manner.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka

> On 03 Feb 2003 09:04:01 -0700
> Joe <jknapka at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > msmith at mikeandmel.com writes:
> >
> > > I was installing Gentoo this weekend and I got to the
> > > point where I edit the /etc/fstab file and wham......
> > > vi is no longer on my path.  I looked in the usual RH
> > > places /bin , /sbin , /usr/bin , /usr/sbin ,
> > > /usr/local/bin /opt/bin , and /usr/local/sbin.  Where
> > > the heck is vi on Gentoo?
> >
> > By default, it's nowhere; use "nano", which is utterly trivial to
> > use. "nano /etc/fstab" should work. "^O" to save the file, IIRC.  And
> > then "emerge vi[m|le]". Note that emerging "vim" will also suck down
> > ALL OF XFree86, because of vim's X extensions.  "emerge vile" to get a
> > nice, small, CLI vi.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > -- Joe Knapka
>

> --
>
> All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
> personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
> corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
> condition to which they are quickly addicted. Missionara Protectiva, Text QIV
> (decto) CH:D 59

  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me