[ale] Production Servers

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Feb 3 08:43:10 EST 2003

IDE is great for stuff that is not critical or not heavily used.
Database files fit into neither category.

There are no 10k rpm IDE drives yet. I could be wrong (and often am
according to She Who Must Be Obeyed), but 10K is currently SCSI only.

The fastest IDE drives now push bits around at the speed of the slowest
SCSI drives in production. It really is no speed test comparison. SCSI
drives are much more robust. Most SCSI drives have a 5 year warranty.
Most IDE drives have a 6 month warranty. That says a lot!

If the budget will allow SCSI, use SCSI. If it is a production machine
and the budget won't allow SCSI, it's not really a production machine.

The only drawback to SCSI drives is the heat output. A 15K rpm Ultra 160
is a data storage toaster! Make sure the case case handle the air flow
needed to keep the rest of the parts cool. I am growing increasingly
leery of 1U cases with multiple Ultra 160 drives. The dual CPU monsters
absolutely must be fed a steady diet of pre-chilled air around 50F or
lower to stay comfortable.