[ale] IRQ 255 and IRQ 0 (was: RH 8.0 won't recognize my NIC)

Cameron Childress cameronc at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 3 07:38:24 EST 2003

I'm still having problems getting my NIC cards configured...  After
tinkering with them for several more hours I broke down and bought a Linksys
router to use instead, but I still want to get this working both as an
educational exercise, and just to prove that this old Packard Bell POS
hasn't won the battle.

When I last posted, I'd found dmesg reporting the IRQ of eth0 as 0.  That's
not right!  I've tried setting it in /etc/modules.conf, but that doesn't
seem to be helping either.  Last night I found something else odd - I booted
the machine to dos using a floppy and ran the diag utility that came with
the NIC.  It reports the IRQ as 255 (another invalid #).  I moved the card
around to every slot, and also put the second card in.  Under every
combination I tried, IRQ was 255.  Though it did apparently correctly ID the
slot they were in, and the IO address, etc...

So here's my question...  Where in the system are IRQ addresses assigned in
plug in play hardware?  Is the motherboard expected to decide?  The OS?  The
device driver?  There are no dip switches on the card itself...  I'm
thinking that Packard Bell had some weird proprietary setup that's causing a
problem here, but I don't know enough to say for sure...

Thanks!

-Cameron

Cameron Childress
Sumo Consulting Inc.