[ale] cdrw problem

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 2 23:33:43 EST 2003

First of all- just to make things easy on yourself- remove the ide-cd
drivers from your rc.modules or your kernel (this will allow ide-scsi to
take control of it automagically, with no changes to your lilo.conf or
any of that).

Second, put this in your rc.modules (and make sure you have built the
relevant modules):

alias scd0 sr_mod
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi

/sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
/sbin/modprobe scsi_mod
/sbin/modprobe sg
/sbin/modprobe sr_mod

then try cdrecord -scanbus.

You should see scd0 there now.  :-)

Hope this helps.

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 15:42, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I took my CDRW and put it into computer2 - and removed it's original CDrom
> drive after installation. Tried to use the CDRW, the results are below (I
> also removed it from the fstab to see if it would help. Kudzu added the same
> information back to the file.)
> cdrecord -scanbus yeilded: try cdrecord -scanbus
>
> Any tips on how to get this drive working short of a new install?
>
> Drew
>
> [root at computer2 root]# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,1 -data /data/gentoo.iso
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '0,0,1'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 1
> cdrecord: No such device. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> root.
> [root at computer2 root]# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -data /data/gentoo.iso
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '0,0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> cdrecord: No such device. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> root.
> [root at computer2 root]# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=1,0,0 -data /data/gentoo.iso
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '1,0,0'
> scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> root.
> [root at computer2 root]# cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> root.
> [root at computer2 root]#
>
> --
> Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
> Drew Brown
> http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
"Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my relatives were
carnival folk who were touring this place called Hiroshima in
the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair, they
mostly married each other.  And here I am"

                                                        (,,oBo,,)
 Wylde Bill                                               ||||

http://mrpooter.sytes.net
wyldechylde at geocities.com