[ale] Alas! At long last I've been hacked.

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sun Feb 2 13:01:00 EST 2003

Jeffrey B. Layton said:
> What about Smoothwall? John Wells has recommended it
> to me and it looks REALLY good. What's you opinion on
> it? (Please, I'm starting a flame war about distros, but I just
> wanted your opinion on the distribution).

I still use Smoothwall on one of my firewalls and am very happy with it.
Use it if you'd like to find an easily administered, fairly secure drop-in
firewall solution.  It uses a web management interface similar to those
seen on the Linksys dsl routers...very nice and easy.  Also has dyndns.org
and other dynamic dns clients built-in.

1.0 uses 2.2.x kernels, so only ipchains.  The 2.0 beta uses 2.4.x and
iptables.  Has an automatic update through the gui.

I highly recommend it.  My "smoothie" is running on a pentium 120mhz with
16 mb ram.

John