[ale] Alas! At long last I've been hacked.

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Feb 2 11:31:36 EST 2003

> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Byron A Jeff wrote:
>
> > * Basic firewalling
> > * SSH accesibility to the gateway
> > * SSH accessibility through the gateway to the internal network
> > * Preferable if auto/simple config is available.
>
> Sounds like a job for Slackware.

The machine has Slackware 7.0 I believe. I'd have no problem updating to 8.1
but I'm wondering if the current ISO has the updated OpenSSH updates.

Actually I had an interesting excercise trying to remotely root my father's
machine (I'd changed that root password and forgot what it was). After several
hours of trying local exploits from my account on his machine, I had no luck.
Fortunately I remembered the password. End of experiment. But at least I have
a good handle on some of Slack 8.1's security.

> > The hardware is a PII-200 with 64M. I'm not sure if it'll CD boot but I'd be
> > interested in a read only media boot solution.
>
> Lots of choices there. Probably too many to list, but I've developed a
> fixation on Knoppix as of late. I'm working on a custom Knoppix disk for
> something similar.

I love Knoppix. BTW the latest Linux Gazette has an excellent article on the
process of making Knoppix custom disks:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue87/sunil.html

My immediate goal is to create a Knoppix image that can be installed on a
HD partition that does three things:

* Has the same autodetection as the CD.
* Has permanent accessibility to user data. Not hard, simply applying the
  persistent home patch.
* The tough one: facilitate apg-get software management using another writable
  partition. There used to be an overlay filesystem patch for the Linux kernel
  but it seems to have died out.

> To be realistic, Slackware is the answer.

That fits perfectly. I'll get it installed today.

BAJ