[ale] OT: OT OT OT and very long! Anybody sick today?

Eichler, Paula J. pja0 at cdc.gov
Tue Dec 30 13:25:25 EST 2003

Rhiannon, thanks for all of the information. Agreed that most of the
"carbs" of today are crap, however, Atkins, et. al. aren't really "high
protein" but are "low carb".

Another misconception is that you can't eat fruits and veggies.  Not so.
White sugar and flour are no-no's, but lettuce is a freebie, and after
the first weeks, adding raw veggies is allowed.  Later you can add most
fruits, especially the berries.  Nuts are allowed. Starchy vegetables
are reduced, but allowed in very small quantities.  Whole grains are OK
in moderation, but it can be difficult to find breads that you would
actually want to eat.  Nature's Own has come out with a pretty good
low-carb wheat bread.

After awhile on it, I would guess that the maintenance Atkins diet is
more like a caveman diet than the "food pyramid".  Meats, nuts and
berries are about all that hunting and gathering will provide. Well, yea
and insects, which I am sure would be allowed under Atkins ;) ..pj