[ale] OT: Anybody sick today?

Stephen Touset stephen at touset.org
Tue Dec 30 12:12:51 EST 2003

Unfortunately, most of the weight lost in the initial few weeks of the
Atkins diet is water; your body has started to burn slightly higher ratios
of fats to carbohydrates, and fat burning uses up significantly more water.

Also, I've never been a fan of treating symptoms. Most often, being
overweight is a symptom of larger health concerns--bad eating habits, lack
of exercise, etc. What you need to be treating is your health, not the
weight. While Atkins may do a great job of dropping those scale numbers, it
also does a nice job of completely messing up the chemistry your body was
designed to handle, which can't be healthy. And in the end, it's not the
numbers on the scale that determine how long your heart keeps ticking, but
the other ones which get ignored when people equate being thin and light
with being healthy.