[ale] Ugh! Kernel panic when loading ext3 modules in RHAS2.1 w/kernel 2.4.9-e30.smp

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Mon Dec 29 18:20:47 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 17:43, Dow Hurst wrote:
> So, unless you can force the RAID card to release even when the slave
> has crashed, you will have cut power to the slave completely, right?
> The last operation of the slave locks the RAID card in a write mode
> which won't let go?  Just wondering what you've found.  I am not
> familiar with RAID cards but am looking thru the O'Reilly book on Linux
> RAID.
> Dow

Is this using a seperate RAID card in each server, with the shared disk
subsystem being a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks).

The only raid controllers I know of that support that configuration are
the IBM ServeRAID cards.  Is that what is in use?

If so, I have considered using those cards and would be interested in
what caused the failure.

FYI: Alan Robertson on the Linux-HA mailing lists works for IBM and
seems willing to chase down problems related to the ServeRAID cards.
That may assume you are using the heartbeat clustering software.

ie. Alan works for IBM, but I think working on Linux-HA (heartbeat) is
his full-time job.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer