[ale] OT: TIVO Units for Sale

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 29 11:25:55 EST 2003

There is not a truly easy way to digitally extract video from
the TiVo units.  This is doubly true if you have a DirecTiVo
where the video is encrypted on the disk.  There are hacks
out there that will let you do it, but its not simple.

If you wait awhile, TiVo is coming out with a DVR that has
a DVD recorder built in.  I am not sure how much it will cost
or when exactly it will come out, except I believe its supposed
to be out before the end of 2004.

Mike