[ale] Exim4 conf for local mail

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Sat Dec 27 21:11:12 EST 2003

Jim,

Did you sort out your Exim problem? I didn't see that anybody had
responded but I've been not around during Xmas...

exim -bt -d username

(as root, it won't tell you as much as any other user) is one of the
handiest things to know with Exim.  It gives you a pretty thorough debug
of which parts of the config file it's hitting and at what stage it fails.
 You can also start exim with full debugging in the log files to help
pinpoint what's going on, but remember to turn it off when you're done! ;)

Without knowing anything else about your problem, it sounds like a
permissions on the mailbox thing to me,I had all sorts of troubles running
exim as user exim and trying to deliver to local mailboxes...by default I
believe it attempts to deliver unqualified addresses to the local machine.
 In this particular case the log files helped me more than the exim -bt
-d, but ususally a combination of the two can solve most exim issues.

Good luck
jenn