[ale] Building linux entertainment devices

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 27 00:27:55 EST 2003

Don't bother.  There are many places on the net that give a rough parts
list.  A quick roundown is PPC CPU (rather slow one by your standards,
I think its like 50MHz) a hardware (yes hardware, and this is why it
works) MPEG codec for encoding and decoding the video streams,
and in the case of the DirecTiVO like I have, 2 DSS digital tuners, and
a smart card slot.  This is all for the series 1 TiVo units.  The series 2
units have a more powerful CPU in them, but I think its still PPC based.

Oh and BTW, the DirecTiVo units actually only need an MPEG decoder,
as the stream from the satalite is already MPEG encoded, so that takes
some hardware load off the unit.

The reason they chose a mostly hardware solution (hardware encoder/decoder
with a cheap CPU) is not just cost.  I believe they did it for reliability as well.
Think of how many fans are in a PC, and how hot they get.  A TiVo only has one
fan for the entire unit, and I believe it uses less then 50W of power.  No PC can live
up to that claim, atleast not one that can do simultanious realitime encoding and
decoding of an MPEG stream without getting any glitches.

Mike