[ale] OT: HW failure

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Dec 24 23:33:47 EST 2003

I think this was about four years ago, so I'm not diagnosing anything at
this  time. With that confessed...

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Bob Toxen wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 11:28:24AM -0500, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Ok, I'm not sure whether I'm jealous of you, or I should be looking to
> > exchange a slightly used karma for a new one.
>
> > I had four drives die within a year (one after another), in one machine. I
> > didn't worry about guarentees as I was dependent on that machine. Life got
> > much better (and less expensive!) when I changed the controller along with
> > the drive.
> In doing failure analysis, look for the constant, i.e., the thing that
> "moves with the problem".  In this case, it is your system and physical
> environment.
>
> Ensure:
>   1. The disk is receiving adequate cooling.  Measure temperature, if
>      possible.  Ensure that air flow is not being blocked by cables and
>      such, that fans are operating normally, and that the ambient
>      temperature surrounding the box is 75F or less, and that there is
>      sufficient clearance around vents and that between the box and any
>      source of heat, including other systems.

The only thing changed was hard drive, computer position remained the same
in an air conditioned environment. I will add that I changed HD
manufactureres due to availability issues.

>   2. Ensure that there is not an abnormally high amount of particulate
>      matter, e.g., dust.

That machine got _regular_ surgury and cleaning. Dust /particulate
problems it didn't have.

> > I'm not an engineer, but I suspect that squirrelly hardware on the other
> > end of the ribbon cable can encourage a hard drive to self-destruct. I
> > have to wonder if such a mechanism doesn't explain some of the horror
> > stories concerning multiple serial drive failures?
>
> I is.  Enjoy.

And the reason I responded at all: I assume that you meant to write "IT
is. Enjoy".