[ale] OT: HW failure

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Dec 24 05:29:40 EST 2003

I've had very different experience.  I use WD almost exclusively.  In
8 years, I've had only a single WD disk fail.  It failed after 2.5 years
but failed slowly so that I was able to copy my data.  (I wasn't doing
regular backups back then.)  WD then exchanged it for free, including
postage both ways!  I'll stick with WD.

IBM 60 GB disks had (may still have) severe reliability problems and
IBM refused to "do the right thing".  Instead they told people to turn
off their systems at night and on weekends.  Sheesh.  My oldest WD disk
still happily turns after 6.5 years of 24x7!

Bob