[ale] OT: HW failure

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 23 21:23:45 EST 2003

I personally have had the most problems with Fujitsu and IBM.
I have had both IDE and SCSI Fujitsu drives go bad within months
of buying them.  I even had one Fujitsu SCSI come from the
factory brand new with several megs of bad sectors (it was a 4GB drive).
The IBM's I have had problwms with are the infamous "Deathstar" drives.
I have had problems where if they were not paired up with the correct slave
the MB would not recognise them at all.  And if you paired them with certian
slaves and you enabled UDMA, your data would slowly get shredded over time,
but the drive it self was clean after a surface scan.

On the other hand I have had the best success with Seagate SCSI drives.
My wife even spilled a winecooler on one while it was in operation (don't
ask...)  and after a quick wash of the controller boards in mildly soapy water
and a short term bake of the boards at around 200 deg in the oven, the drive
still works perfectly.  And I got it as a referb, so who knows how much life it
had origionally.  Oh, and all the data was still intact after that incident too!

Other then the Fujitsu's I would say I have never had any problems with SCSI
drive just randomly failing.  Atleast not before 3 years of continuous use.  I think
you basicly get what you pay for when it comes to drives.

Mike