[ale] Building linux entertainment devices

zack zack at the-links.net
Tue Dec 23 16:41:53 EST 2003

I am interested in examining the possiblity of building a Linux-based
networked entertainment device.  My main goals are not a one off, use
spare parts type of project, but more of looking into the possibility of
building a prototype for mass produced device.  The software would be a
slimmed down or RTOS Linux kernel, plus open source software.
 Capabilities would include networking, video and /or sound output.  IDE
devices for HDD and CD/DVD would probably be required, as well as
(likely) PC-Card support.  CPU-wise I am thinking a low-end Intel/AMD or
higher end alternative CPU like you might see in some embedded devices.
 So yeah, it's pretty much a PC, but non Intel/AMD would be considered
if they can handle the video.

I need to get an idea of the types of hardware platforms suitable for
this type of device, and the software development I would need to do, to
get some idea of how much it would cost to do, as well as how much
develoment work would need to be done (I assume certain systems could
just have minimal kernel  and OSS code compiled, while others might need
porting or tweaking or something).

If anyone has any experience or insight into this sort of a project and
would care to share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Zack