[ale] Adding service to xinetd

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Sun Dec 21 13:20:26 EST 2003

Since you have it running under init using a init script to start it,
then you can just add a case in your init script for a stop function.
Then you would just call the script with the stop case,
"/etc/init.d/service stop", to shutdown the daemon.
Mixing xinetd's control with init's control isn't a great idea.  Don't
use xinetd since you would have to comment out the service's line in
xinetd.conf and restart xinetd to stop your service.  Just use init and
a start and stop case in your startup script.  It is faster for netbased
don't want it running 24/7 and only when a request comes in is it to
startup and service the request.  I don't know much about xinetd so I
may not realize there is a way to send it info to stop or start
servicing requests for a particular service such as ftp or smartd.  Just
my thoughts,
Dow

>>> laytonjb at comcast.net 12/21/03 12:48 PM >>>
Good afternoon campers!

   I've got a daemon that I'd like to have started (controlled?)
by xinetd. Currently, I have a script that starts it via the
init process. However, I'd like to be able to use chkconfig
to bring the service up and down when I want. Does anyone
know how to do this? (I've been searching google with not
much luck).

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S. The service is called smartd - part of smartmontools.