[ale] Any experience w/D-Link wired DSL routers?

zeb n4zm at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 14 22:30:31 EST 2003

On Sunday 14 December 2003 11:30 am, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> My son needs a simple DSL-ethernet firewall/router. It must run
> PPPoE to Mindspring/Earthlink, serve DHCP to a couple of boxes in
> the house, and provide simple firewalling: ACCEPT outgoing and
> reply, DROP new incoming. Zero to minimal software requirements for
> clients and setup.

Would you be interested in a box that is a firewall, router, DHCP
server, and maybe some other things that I am not able to
appreciate--for a cost of (probably) $0.00, and that's not a typo.

I have a 486-DX 120, 32 MB RAM, one 3.5 floppy, 2 NICs,  no hard
drive,  and no monitor.  It is running Coyote Linux.  It feeds a
Netgear  8-port hub, which feeds my local net.

I cannot speak authoritatively to its security.  I have tried to check
the security, and it seems pretty good.

Should you elect to try CL, I would like to know your results.

Regards, Zeb