[ale] OT: home broadcasting

zeb morgan zeb.morgan at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 09:18:31 EST 2003

You might look at "carrier current" broadcasting.  One uses a small
transmitter that broadcasts a signal on the a.m. band.  The "antenna"
is the ordinary a.c wiring.   My college radio station used such a
device to cover a small town.  Allowed broadcast signal strength is
related to broadcast wavelength, so lower frequencies (longer
wavelengths) are preferred.  Frequency response would be limited, but
a.m. radio is probably good enough for "background" music, and a
cheap  reeiver would probably do.  Radio Shack used to sell a carrier
current tranmitter, and I have one from thirty years ago.