[ale] OT: home broadcasting

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche dittmeb at mail.rockefeller.edu
Wed Dec 10 10:02:53 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Preston Boyington wrote:

> i want to extend my "broadcast" signal to 200'.  i currently have a small
> transmitter from Radio Shack ($30) which works up to about 20' (it is
> intended for use in a car so you wouldn't need a cassette adapter for your
> "portable device", etc.), but would like to have one that would receive my
> signal around the house.  as i am going to have to do a great deal of
> landscaping/pool cleaning it would be nice to listen to my music/audio books
> on a "disposable" device.
>
> Reasons for this:
>
> 1) laptop with wireless card is expensive and bulky
> 2) ipod like devices are expensive and i don't know what their battery life
> would be
> 3) if dropped in a pool/ditch/well i had rather lose a $10 "walkman" than
> $$$ other
>
> anyone know where i could find more information on doing something like
> this?  hardware recommendations?  anyone doing something similar?

I suspect you will have a very hard time: The FCC regulates FM and AM
transmitters to very restrictive power levels. There may be one or two
frequencies that are not so regulated, but I am pretty sure that's not the
case. I would say with 20' you are doing well.

I recommend looking into systems that are in the less regulated 900MHz
band. They make wireless speakers, headphones and transmitters that work
in this range (the trick is to find ones that are mutually compatible...).
My 900MHz speakers pick up a lot of interference, but it depends on where
you live. (Jake's Ice cream in Decatur has a bunch of wireless speakers
setup in their various room if you want to check that out.).

	bjorn