[ale] OT: master in comp. sci.

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 10 06:06:30 EST 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 04:18 am, miguel wrote:
> hello alers,
>
> thought about going back to school, but with all this outsourcing going
> on, i am having 2nd thoughts....is worth the trouble/time/money?

If you're going to school to be a pure code slinger, then there is a good
chance your job will be exported before you find it. Along with your coding
skills, you should learn some business skills like project management,
accounting, setting requirements and so on. If you have a solid understanding
of all the business processes that the technology is being applied to, you
are much less replaceable. This was always true, but it's even more true now.
If I had the time to do it all over, I would get an MBA along with a computer
science degree.