[ale] alternative to dial-up

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Tue Dec 9 13:41:34 EST 2003

This may or may not be an option for you, but my Father-in-law gets his
internet service via wireless (802.11a, I believe, line of site) from
his EMC (EMC stands for Electric Membership Coporation, which is
basically an electric company "owned" by its subscribers). I understand
that this sort of service is being implemented by many EMC's, especially
in Appalachia.

Basically, subscribers hang big planer antennas off their houses, and
can daisy chain, line of site, where necessary (most of the base
antennas are on the EMC's transmission towers). Each subscriber gets his
own 4 port router from the EMC, and they use macs for security on the links.

He gets about 300kbps both ways, and it costs him less than half what
his old ISDN on conditioned line setup cost.

If you get your power from one of the many GA EMC's
(www.georgiaemc.com), or you have one nearby, this service might be
available to you.

Mike

Preston Boyington wrote:
> i have recently moved to a rural area and am having trouble with my internet
> connection.  actually it is my telephone service as a whole, someone's
> electric fence is "bleeding" into my line.  the consistant "hummmm pop,
> hummmm pop, hummmm pop" is allowing me to connect at a blistering 21600 on a
> good night.  needless to say, i am looking at a different way to connect for
> my internet connection.  cable and dsl are (according to official sources) 5
> years away, at best.
>
> the telephone company (CenturyTel) says they are uninterested in running a
> new line or tracing the problem, so i am stuck as they are the only service
> in the area.
>
> has anyone used DirecWav or some other similar service?  i plan on looking
> at "dslreports" later today, but was curious if anyone had a suggestion.
>
> preston

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307
Landline: 404-653-1070