[ale] Current Red Hat users - moving on?

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 7 16:08:38 EST 2003

On Sunday 07 December 2003 03:52 pm, John Wells wrote:
> Going with Fedora for home, RHEL-WS for work.  People have made a much
> bigger deal about the change than necessary.  I support Red Hat.

I understand why RedHat has gone more commercial. But I think they are losing
their base of home users and hobbyists. This is a conscious move on their
part, I'm sure, but it also seems ill-considered to me. Those home users and
hobbyists are the ones who brought RedHat into the data centers in the first
place. If the next generation realizes that--Duh!--apt is a better tool for
system updates, then they are likely to bring in a Debian based distro and
convince their bosses that RedHat is more of a pain than it needs to be. That
scenario doesn't seem at all far fetched to me.