[ale] OT: This is sure to set y'all's hair on fire..

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Thu Dec 4 08:36:05 EST 2003

> Tech Support jobs, Help Desk jobs, manufacturing jobs, design jobs,
> programming jobs, and even some remote maintenance jobs are all moving
> overseas...  Not a god sign for the tech community in
> America.  If this
> trend continues (and it will) we will see a market flooded
> with VERY over
> qualified field techs and a sharp drop in salaries.
>
> This can't be good.
>
> We all need to pray that every tech company to ship jobs
> overseas will feel
> the angst that pushed Dell to move support centers BACK to America.

local company in our area was set up to do computer tech support for Dell
and Gateway.  many people went to school to get computer training as their
factory jobs had moved across the border and the local lumber mills had shut
down.

imagine one week you are sewing shirts and then you get a chance to get into
the computer tech industry (granted it's the "McJob" of the industry, but i
digress).  what a boost you must feel.

now a couple of hundred people are working less than 20 hours a week as they
are (effectively) switch board operators routing calls to India.

the rumor is this company moves into low income areas and sets up shop until
their governmental grant runs out.  then it's off to another area to do the
same thing.

many people have lost what little they had after financially struggling to
go through school and depression is rampant.

i probably should quit typing as i have some pretty strong feelings about
this situation.

preston