[ale] bash, full filename

David Corbin dcorbin at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 2 21:09:13 EST 2003

On Saturday 29 November 2003 18:46, Geoffrey wrote:
> David Corbin wrote:
> > How can I take a filename (which may or may not be relative) and
> > convert it to be a fully qualified filename, in bash?
>
> type vi |awk '{print $NF}'
>
> This will only work if it's in your path.  If not, you're going to have
> to use locate or find.

I don't think that comes close to what I want.  (But thanks for trying).

I want to be able to convert:

foobar          to  /home/dcorbin/foobar  (if I'm in /home/dcorbin)
/etc/passwd  to  /etc/passwd
../fred/foobar to  /home/fred/foobar (if I'm in /home/dcorbin)

PATHs  (in the sense of your example) are just not a factor.
--
David Corbin <dcorbin at users.sourceforge.net>