[ale] Streaming media for Linux

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Aug 29 17:17:01 EDT 2003

On Friday 29 August 2003 12:22 pm, George Carless wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for streaming stuff from a Linux
> machine?  I've some rather large video files which I'd like to serve
> from our intranet box (which runs RedHat), and I'm not sure what the
> best approach might be.  Would streaming be more or less server load
> than just letting people download encoded mpeg files?

The servers that I know of are Darwin from Apple and the Helix server from
Real Networks.  Both are open source.

The difference between streaming and downloading is mostly bandwidth
utilization.  If they download they get the bits as fast as you can push
them there, which may fill up your pipe and slow down other operations.
With streaming you send the files out only as they are needed.  Streaming
also usually enables pausing the stream when the client presses the pause
button, freeing up all that bandwidth.  That doesn't happen with a
download.

Michael