[ale] OT: Republicans Outsource

John Marasco john at marasco.net
Thu Aug 28 20:44:05 EDT 2003

Here are some additional links:

<http://www.business-standard.com/archives/2003/jan/50310103.016.asp>
<http://www.hcleserve.com/overview.htm>

for those that are interested in some remotely limited verification of this
liberal fluff piece.  I bet the Republican Party fires and attributes the
whole thing to somebody that just "didn't get the parties extreme concern
and commitment to the hard-working, God fearing American voter".  A lot of
Americans will (in turn) go "yea, that makes sense, because otherwise I
would have to be a drooling idiot to miss that level of hypocrisy".  Life
will go on, right?

To make maters worse, I bet HCL E Serve uses Microsoft technology!  Yep

Hiring American's because you've raised 100 million dollars for your
re-election campaign and want to use some of that money to help American's
pay their bills is not protectionism.  Protectionism is steel tariffs,
protectionism is giving Halliburton a competition free 1.7 billion dollar
(and counting) contract in Iraq, protectionism is failing to pursue a
monopoly finding against the largest company in the world.  Putting your
money where your rhetoric is to support the theory that American's can
compete because they are good enough to do so is not protectionism.  If
Republican's don't feel the fasted growing sector of the US economy (service
jobs) is competative against foreign competition, then by what mystical
argument would they advocate "free trade"?

There is absolutely no job that foreigners in India can't eventually do
cheaper and as well as American's.  There is no business idea we can think
up here that Indian's can't think up just as quickly in India.  It's purely
a standard of living and time issue and the bottom line is that India has a
much larger and less well off work force upon which the upper classes (many
of whom enjoy US educations of equal quality with the best we have to offer)
can rely on for all sorts of services that cost many times more here in
America.  It is quite one thing when grandma buys toilet paper at Wal-Mart
that was made in India because it's the cheapest.  When the wealthy do the
same thing, then the country is really sunk and when a sitting US
president's party (which has raised a record "war chest") is leading the
rush then I would say things are in quite a bad way.

Until the SOL in India and China is on parity with the US we should have
serious concerns about jobs leaving the US.  It's all well and good to rely
on our superior infrastructure to keep jobs here but blackouts on the East
and West coasts, tax cuts and wars that undermine domestic infrastructure
spending will have an impact on those corporate decision drivers.  There is
only so much extra productivity you can get out of an American before any
job can be done cheaper (but not better) overseas.  Unless most of us want
to share 500 sq ft homes with our family of four and work 80 hour weeks to
pay for them then self selected "protectionism" (if you will) is the only
solution that keeps American's employed until the SOL overseas reaches some
level of parity.

Can anyone show where in those articles it states that the main driver in
this decision was quality?