[ale] ot: SCO/networking help

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Apr 30 17:05:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 08:09:37AM -0400, David Hamm wrote:
> I posted this on good Friday and only got one reply, figure folks were off.
> I also posted it to a SCO news group and got 0 replies.  I guess this is a
> strange problem.

> I have a SCO box that needs an alias added to it's nic.  When I add the
> alias using "ifconfig net0 alias ..." all looks good and the routing table
> is also updated.  When I ping the alias from another host, on the same
> subnet as the alias, it works.  But when I ping another host from the SCO
> box the pings don't return.  It looks like the SCO box is sending the pings
> with the wrong source IP address in the packet.  Has anyone experienced this
> or have an idea what I could be doing wrong?  I've tried with two different
> SCO boxes and both have the same problem.

Your default route probably goes to the other IP.  Thus the source IP for
the reply is the other IP.  When this gets back to the system that is
pinging, it says I didn't ping you and drops the packet.  Thus, no reply.

You can test this theory by adding a custom route back to the system
originating the ping to go through the other alias.  If this is the case
then aliasing is not set up correctly.

> Thanks.

> David Hamm
> Imaging Technologies Services, Inc.