[ale] Tab stops in linux?

CB Genrich cb at kona-kahuna-nui.com
Tue Apr 29 23:25:06 EDT 2003

A tab is just a character, like space or w or #.

Many programs treat it in some special way, i.e. they
give additional horizontal space up to the next "tab
stop" whatever they think that means.  Rather like
newline or formfeed are given special treatment.

Different programs treat them differently, and there
is no particular place in Linux that you can configure
how you want programs to treat them.

You can use "expand" or "unexpand" to convert text
to not having tabs (by filling the space with spaces)
or having them (by combining several spaces into a
single tab).  See "expand --help" or "unexpand --help"
for slightly more information.  These let you give
guidance about the spacing of tabstops.

I hope this helps.

-CB Genrich-