[ale] Why won't my module load?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Apr 29 13:13:41 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> > > # insmod ipx.o
> > > Using /lib/modules/2.4.18/misc/ipx.o
> > > /lib/modules/2.4.18/misc/ipx.o: unresolved symbol

> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/net/ipx/ipx.o

Note the paths. You've got dueling modules from two different kernel
compiles, for one thing.

> > You did boot the new kernel you got when you recompiled with ipx
> > support, right?
>
> I am running my old kernel that was compiled fromt he same .config (except
> for ipx) that was used to make ipx.o, so in pricimple I beleive I
> shouldn't need any reboot.

In principle, yes. In practice, no. ;-)

For one thing, dependency tracking in the kernel build isn't terribly good
in the <= 2.4 kernels. If you do something like add a major subsystem, or
remove one, or switch one from static to module or vice-versa, your safest
bet is to make clean, build everything again from scratch, the reboot....
The build system should figure out just the parts which need recompiling, in
theory, but in practice it doesn't work all that well.

For another, a module may require hooks within the kernel. You'll only get
those by enabling the module, then compiling the kernel, then booting the
kernel, then loading the module.

later,
chris