[ale] Why won't my module load?

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 29 13:46:30 EDT 2003

There is still a chance that including the ipx module (is that the only thing you changed?) may have actually added some hooks in the kernel binary image that changed where everything was.  Another thing is unless the kernel is exactly the same, IE its not just the same config, the modversions info may have changed as its regenerated every time you do a make clean, make dep.  This could happen if you compiled kernel X for the machine your testing on, then went and compiled kernel Y for a different machine using the same source but a different config, then tried to recompile kernel X again.  Even if the configs are the same (and they really arent now are they?  You changed an option :P).  The kernel binaries could be different as the module versioning info changes with every compile (or rather can change with every compile, I do not remember the exact mechanism used to generate the symbol name hash).

If your not using kernel symbol versioning, then shame on you :P

IIRC (and this is from the last time I used it which was well over 3 years ago) IPX was one of the few things that was not totally modular.  So if you added it as a module, it would still put built in symbols into the kernel.  I would try a reboot with the new kernel, not just the additional module.

Mike