[OT] Re: [ale] pci video card with TV in

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Apr 24 14:41:21 EDT 2003

They're cheap when you consider the costs of buying a machine that will
support live playback and recording simultaneously.  Fletch said his CPU
is consumed about 50% iirc....adding another card would really bog it
down.

Last I checked, you could get a pretty decent Tivo system for approx. $300
with 40 gb drive.  If it were possible to hack one to do your bidding, you
wouldn't need a subscription and you could go your own with something like
MythTV.  I'm sure Tivo has some sort of protection mechanism in
place...but...

I think Tivo also does hardware encoding, which would be nice as well.

Really just thinking out loud...but think of the possiblities...

Course, as soon as someone was able to make it work, they'd be sued under
the DMCA, no doubt ;-).