[ale] What to use

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Apr 23 10:26:08 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

    Christopher> I'm assuming threads are not supported?

The 5.8.0 that RH8 and on ships with has threads enabled.

However the thing to remember is that threads are still kinda crufty
in perl.  Conventional wisdom is that if you're convinced you have to
use them use 5.8.0 and ithreads (which is the new model
interpreter-per-thread version which replaces the old 5.005_03
multiple threads in the same interpreter model).  Of course then
there's also the old school wisdom which says you don't really want
threads, you should just use fork() and select() like was intended. :)

Or look into POE (http://poe.perl.org/) which gives you
an event loop to use instead of threads (not to mention there's work
going on to take advantage of true thread support once it's ready for
prime time).

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=