[ale] Honeypots

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Apr 22 23:34:33 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 08:28:26PM -0700, tom hawks wrote:
> Have you ever caught anyone trying to hack into one of
> your honeypots?

	Snicker...  Chuckle...

	Would you like some ftp server user names and passwords in
Romania (no, they weren't too bright)...

	Let's see, what time is it...  Nope, not in the last few hours...

	God...  It's like stomping cockroaches...  But a lot more fun.

	Got annoying for a bit when some started combining the ptrace local
elevation to root with the Apache mod-ssl exploit.  Well, annoying, yes.
But I got some nice new root-kits for the effort of flushing them off
the honeypot.  >/;->=>  Vservers running on top of a hardend kernel
solved that problem and let me collect rootkits without actually getting
the core engine rooted.  Bonus!

> tom

	Mike