[ale] Virtual Dedicated Servers

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Apr 22 17:40:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 05:33:53PM -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Hello,

> Last week I went to visit a web hosting facility that offered virtual
> dedicated servers on Linux.  They stated they had proprietary software
> to provide this product.  Its like a small Linux system that is
> controlled so the user can not use too many cycles up and limit the
> other customers. It was intriguing.  To me ti should be dedicated or
> shared.  That word virtual in the subject line of this email cancels out
> the second word "dedicated".  Can someone tell me if there is an OSS
> solution to allow VDS on Linux?  I might could put a view of my sites in
> one to protect the host from hacking.

	FreeVSD		<www.freevsd.org>

	Vserver		<http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc>

	OpenVSD		(suppose to be a branch of FreeVSD - status unknown)

	I'm currently using vserver for situations where all the
virtual servers can run on the same kernel.  Even different distros can
run on the same kernel and root in one vserver can't muck with network
configurations or bust out of his security context.  In cases where
I need a different kernel (or OS) I just fall back to VMware (which is
neither open nor free but incredibly effective).  I've even got systems
(virtualized honeypot clusters) which are running simultanious combinations
of vserver and VMware for different virtual servers and machines.

	Mike