[ale] [OT] Georgia Super-DMCA Update

Cade Thacker linux at cade.org
Tue Apr 22 15:39:55 EDT 2003

NOTE: I am not a poly sci major, so if I have this screwed up please
kindly correct me.

SUMMARY: We *should* be clear of this.... for now....

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003_04/sum/hb867.htm

eff.org also has some additional information.

Ok, I am sure some of you all would like to be in the know, so here is
what I have found out about this bill. It is called House Bill(HB) 867.
AFAIK, to become a law it must make the following steps:

1) House First Reading
2) House Second Reading
3) Sub-Committee Debate
4) Full Committee Debate
5) Rules Committe Debate
6) Full House Floor Vote

7) Repeat 1-6 in Senate

8) Sign by Gov. Predue

Now the GA Legislation only meets for 40 days. Today is day 39. Day 40 is
either Thursday or Friday, and then everything is over until next year.

HB 867 has passed steps 1 and 2. Step 3 will happen Wednesday.

The committee is the "Public Utilities Commitee"
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_org_detail.pl?Com=gahpubu

The head of the sub-committe is Rep "Coach" Williams.  The head of the
full committee is David Lucas. The number for the committee office is on
the above web page. Click on each of the Rep's names for their phone
numbers.

I just called the Committee number (404 656 5115), and spoke with a
gentleman named Chris, he said this thing will more than likely not pass,
nor is it likely that it will pass next year. He also asked how I found
out about the bill, so I told him about the eff. He said the number of
calls about the bill have picked up lately. very interesting....

Hope this helps....

--cade

On Linux vs Windows