[ale] recommend a good PHP/MYSQL list?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Apr 18 17:05:30 EDT 2003

Nah. What I am trying to do is more complex. The closest thing I could find is
like a cross between a subselect and a sort:
/*
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ANSI_diff_Sub-selects.html
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Sorting_rows.html
*/

I want to select random records from the table AND list the result order by id
DESC;
Without throwing the data into an array (cause I really don't know how :)).
Something like this:

///
$sql="select value from table order by rand(), order by id desc limit 20";
$result=mysql_query($sql);
while ($myrow=mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
$value=$myrow["value"];
printf ("value");
///

(So take 20 random rows -of the 1000 that exist- AND order by id DESC)
I am thinking someone would suggest grabbing the random records and sorting
them in the while array somehow. But that is over my head (which is why I
turned to the mySQL queries). I couldn't find that concept in the manual.

Drew

On Fri April 18 2003 15:34, F. Grant Robertson wrote:
> Mysql can return random rows..  or you could generate psuedo random numbers
> and query by WHERE IN (1,2,3,4,5)
>
> Take a look at the mysql manual..
>
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html
>
> -G