[ale] Defeated by the offshoring of America....

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Apr 14 13:53:55 EDT 2003

> Eh?  Overpopulation is done to compensate for the scarcity of
> *automobiles*?
>
> *boggles*
>
> This is just xenophobic nonsense.

No - rather, you misunderstand.  Perhaps when I said "compensate" I
implied a causality that I didn't mean to imply.

There is a difference between population and population density.

The development, proliferation, and pricing (compared to mean household
income) of the automobile in the USA made possible one thing that enabled
the population of the nation to grow without shooting the population density
in cities through the roof:  the suburb.  The structure of our population
centers - where the vast majority of our economic engine lies - both presumes
and is presumed by the existence of affordable and relatively reliable cars.  If
it weren't for that, mile-high apartment buildings in the mold of those in
MINORITY REPORT or METROPOLIS is what we'd already be seeing.  India isn't quite
like that, but if I understand correctly, it does lead to what amount to "work
camps" - large, dense, multifamily dwellings for the employees of a company's
facility.