[ale] ALE reply-to changes needed??

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 19:56:22 EDT 2003

Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> writes:

> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > nah. Your client must be borked - when I use kmail, and hit reply to
> > all, it sends it to the list and the original sender. Regardless of
> > the RFC - the goal is to be able to accomplish a particular task
> > easily. Your email client does not allow you the option.
>
> Uh, the RFCs define the way the tool is supposed to work, so
> 'regardless of the RFC' indicates you don't understand what the RFC is.

True. However, the meanings of specific words like "shall", "must",
and "recommended" is strictly defined in the context of RFCs.  The
material related to "Reply-to" in both RFC822 and RFC2822 is of
"recommendation" nature, and clearly specifies that clients are
essentially free to do anything they like in the presence of a
"Reply-to" header. RFC2822 explicitly *refuses* to specify which
addresses should appear in the "To:" line of a reply to a message
containing "Reply-to".

As I said earlier, it seems obvious that since reasonable people
can disagree violently about this issue, it ought to be a
per-subscriber option, settable at the list server.

Geoffrey (or Chris F), what list management software is used
for ALE at the moment? I'll give it a look and see how hard
it would be to add such a facility.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka