[ale] Apache and FD_SETSIZE

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 16:42:07 EDT 2003

Mike Lockhart <backpacker at hikers.net> writes:

> Ok, apache is spitting out errors of the following flavor:
>
> [Sat Apr 12 19:51:44 2003] [warn] [csd] filedescriptor (1030) larger
> than FD_SETSIZE (1024) found, you probably need to rebuild Apache with a
> larger FD_SETSIZE
>
> Now does this require a re-compile of apache or can i get away with just
> doing something like this:
>
> bash$ echo "somenumber" > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
>
> Any advice is apreciated.  :)

FD_SETSIZE specifies the maximum value a file descriptor can
have if it's to be used with the select() system call. Changing
.../file_max is not going to affect FD_SETSIZE, which is defined
in a glibc-supplied header file. Changing FD_SETSIZE would
require, most likely,

(1) A kernel rebuild, and
(2) a glibc rebuild

in order (a) for the kernel to know about the larger FD_SETSIZE
and (b) for the glibc code that calls the kernel's select()
entry point to know about the larger FD_SETSIZE. (However,
I haven't tried to make this work, so I could be wrong about
any or all of the above. I'm nearly 100% sure, though.)

I wonder why your Apache has got so many open file descriptors?
Probably that's the question you should try to answer first.  Perhaps
you've got a script or something running inside Apache that's opening
files and not closing them?

HTH,

-- Joe Knapka