[ale] ALE reply-to changes needed?? -- VOTE @ www.cade.org/ale_reply.php

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sun Apr 13 01:34:27 EDT 2003

On 12 Apr 2003, Joe wrote:

> "ChangingLINKS.com" <x3 at ChangingLINKS.com> writes:
>
> > I move that we use the Cade voting system, and close the polls.
> > Currently the vote is 320 (reply to list) vs. 8 (reply to poster).
>
> That's truly bizarre, since it seems to me that the list traffic
> has weighed pretty heavy on the "reply to poster" side, and
> there are only about fifteen people who regularly post to the
> list. Surely the lurking masses don't give two horseapples about
> this issue; so where the heck did *328* votes come from???

The 328 lurkers want to make damn sure they get to see the postings of the
15 regular posters. The reply to all option sucks, because you end up
getting multiple copies of the same message when folks forget to trim out
the original sender(s), which is the case more often than not. If you're
too busy to keep up with ALE for several days (often the case for me
lately), it can make a confusing mess out of things as the list traffic
is pretty high on it's own. Most mailers will allow you to either ignore
the Reply-To field, or ask you first. So what's the big deal again?

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security