[ale] [OT] need help with 2php SOLUTION

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Fri Apr 11 15:06:49 EDT 2003

Drew,

You're not making things any clearer, for me at least.  Since you've
written this in PHP (as I understand it), why not post the PHP?

> No. You misunderstand. The data changes.

> query data (value=1)
> function adds 1 (+1) or subtracts 1 (-1) and updates the database

Adds or subtracts 1 to what?  To the data in the database?

> query data (because the new value equals 0 or 2)

But if you have already queried the database for the value, before
updating it, then why would you need to re-query the database?  (Unless to
check that no other user/code/whatever had itself updated the database in
the meantime - but then, you're locking your tables, right?)

> I am wondering if there is a good use for this "law."

I've no idea what 'law' you're referring to, I'm afraid.

--George