[ale] Wireless networking options?

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Fri Apr 11 10:50:17 EDT 2003

I need a little sensibility calibration here...

As far as crowded business settings go (as opposed to more spread-out home
settings), what is left hanging open cracker-wise given that the 256-bit
encryption is the only measure being used?

My understanding is that the encryption being discussed here would make it very
hard to sniff traffic out of the air, but that it doesn't do anything about the
issue of having an unwanted machine syncing up to the WAP using that very same
encryption.

It also occurs to me that, as far as that encryption goes, it would be kind of
bad to be able to select between 64/128/256-bit encryption or no encryption at
all just via software, because in that case, the presence or depth of that
encryption is only as trustable as the protection on the software mechanism that
controls it and therefore by extension the protection on the machine(s) that
has/have the mechanism.

It is starting to seem to me that this whole 802.11b business is being marketed
as a trivially easy way to network machines that might be sufficient for home
use up to a point (i.e., someone would have to warwalk in your yard to mess with
you) but should only be used in business/commercial settings as a last resort
and then only with careful hardening and in support of as few machines as possible.

And how does 802.11b traffic behave in the aggregate?  Does it collide?  It is
full duplex?  Do all machines operating off a common WAP share the same 11Mbps
bandwidth?

- Jeff