[ale] OT: pursuing spammers through the legal system

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Wed Apr 9 15:20:22 EDT 2003

I'm beginning to see quite a few bouncebacks from a spam campaign that
surrepitiously generated, for the mail envelope and other origination
address headers, random addresses based on my domain (e.g.,
" f0ls53lfkj at fulton green dot com ").

Obviously, this is an especially henious act, and I'd like to see justice
served for this crime, whether through the criminal or civil avenues of
the law.

So here are a few questions:

1) Who could I consider the perps in this case?  The ones actually
   spamming me, or the ones paying that spammer (whether it's the
   advertiser or a "middleman" "spam-broker"), or both?  The advertiser
   is pretty easy to track down; the spammer will be more difficult
   unless the advertiser cooperates in the investigation.
2) Is there a good "e-attorney" in town that knows enough about situations
   like this that could take on my case?
3) If the spam originated from a person living out-of-state (or even out-
   of-country), how does that effect the viability of my case against the
   perps?

Major TIAs for this one.