[ale] What is using the disk??

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 7 11:18:22 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 08:45, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
> I have redhat 8.0, ext3.  The "write/read" light on the box has been illuminated for days.  I don't hear the usual rattle of a hard drive being read or written to.  How do I find out what process is using the disk?  I tried to umount it but the "device is busy".
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> John

Is this something that just started happening?  I've noticed on some
motherboards the ide drivers don't quite initialize the LED right and
it's always on, with or without hd activity.  If it used to work right
and you haven't recently upgraded the kernel or any other major system
change (hw and sw) then ignore my comment.

Calvin