[ale] Sandisk

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Apr 5 08:43:30 EST 2003

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Calvin Harrigan wrote:

> From: "John Mills" <johnmills at speakeasy.net>

> > Christopher, ALErs -

> > What Sandisk are you using? I have a model SDDR-05 without an eject
> > button. This seems to mean it's not the SDDR-05a.
> > Bottom line: anyone know if I can use this SDDR-05 safely with Linux, and
> > are there precautions I should take before removing the card (i.e.,
> > 'umount')?
> Not sure about the SDDR-05 but I use a SDDR-75.  I treat it pretty much like
> a floppy.
> Mount it, write/read, unmount. Always unmount before removing media.  No
> errors or belly aches.

That sounds like sensible advice.

> THe only problem I have is that it jumps to different
> /dev/sd? .
> It changes time to time because I also use another  usb mass storage device,
> a hard drive.
> I know I'm answering a question with a question, but is there a way to force
> a mass storage device to use a specific device node?

Disclaimer1: I'm making this up out of thin air.

If the device node is assigned at system boot, could you run a script from
your 'rc.local' that would identify the node by looking in '/proc', then
assign that value to some environmental variable? If you could then define
the mount point in '/etc/fstab' in terms of that environmental, you might
have what you want. (If you can't get a symbol expanded from inside
'/etc/fstab', you might use a trivial script or 'alias' to define a
device-specific command line mount.)

Disclaimer2: [See Disclaimer1]

Thanks for your comments.

 John Mills