[ale] VNC

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 3 08:08:32 EST 2003

"John Wells" <jb at sourceillustrated.com> writes:

> Joe,
>
> Do you use any particular compression settings, etc?  I get fair perform
> ace with the X VNC server from home to my linux box at work, but
> embarrassingly enough, an rdesktop to a Windows Terminal Server on the
> same vpn is faster.  I'm positive there must be some way to increase VNC
> performance and intend to take a look at the various settings, but thought
> you might have some tips.

You're using the actual VNC server on the Linux side, not x0rfbserver
(which serves an existing physical desktop to VNC clients)? If so,
I'm surprised that you don't see better performance.

On my Linux box, I just do "vncserver --geometry 800x600", without any
special settings. I can hardly tell I'm not sitting in front of the
physical display. (Then again, I rarely try to play any graphics-
intensive games over a VNC connection. But emacs, Mozilla, and OpenOrifice
all work fine for me over VNC.)

Now with the Windows server, it's quite obvious that there's another
layer between be and display; screen updates are slow and response to
key and mouse events sometimes has a noticable delay. In the WinVNC
settings, I leave everything unchecked under "Update handling" except
"Poll foreground window". That sucks down a lot of CPU time on the
server, but it ensures that updates to the window I'm actually typing
at get done promptly.

-- Joe